This second letter requests:
New York City Must Call for a Halt to the Billion + Dollars of Cross-Subsidies and Overcharging of Verizon NY, the State Public Utility.
LETTER 1, We requested the following of the City of New York:
- Do not renew the Verizon FiOS cable franchise, which expired in July 2020, until Verizon provides access to FTTP, Fiber to the Premises, to 100% of NYC residences, as required by the expired franchise agreement..
- Apply maximum penalties and fines against Verizon, as specified in the agreement, for its failure to offer FTTP broadband to all households in the City.
- Hold Verizon accountable for not balancing its FTTP deployments as required, depriving low-income areas of parity with other parts of the City—a social injustice.
- Discontinue any renewal and dispute settlement negotiations with Verizon and establish a transparent process that invites public participation.
- Embrace the principle that wireless is not a suitable substitute for FTTP. No bait-and-switch may be allowed, as is Verizon’s proffered alternative in NY and other jurisdictions.