2019: Time to Take the FCC to Court; Time for Action.
PRESS RELEASE: IRREGULATORS v FCC Moves Forward: Billions of Dollars Per State are in Play.
PODCASTS: WHY IRREGULATORS v FCC is Critical
On October 10th, 2019, the IRREGULATORS responded to the FCC claims that our case is meritless, and that we don’t have the right to even take this case.
- On October 3rd, 2019, the IRREGULATORS discussed why this case, IRREGULATORS vs FCC is critical for America’s communications future, from tackling Net Neutrality and the Digital Divide, to lowering prices and bringing in competition. We also discussed that 5G Wireless is a bait and switch; the service is not profitable and will do more harm to America than good.
NEW: FCC RESPONDS TO IRREGULATOR CHALLENGE, September 12th, 2019
NEW: PRESS RELEASE: On July 22nd, 2019, the IRREGULATORS filed our initial brief with the DC Court of Appeals against the FCC’s accounting rules.
NEW: On July 22nd, 2019, the IRREGULATORS filed our initial brief with the DC Court of Appeals against the FCC’s accounting rules.
- NEW: The Case is Going Forward: On June 3rd, 2019, the FCC had the opportunity but did not challenge the IRREGULATORS’ legal right to sue. This is important since it appears to recognize their legal “standing.” This means the case will move on to the “merits” phase’: presentation of briefs and identification of supporting evidence.
- NEW: On May 20th, 2019, the IRREGULATORS filed a series of separate affidavits, as well as a group summary, asking the US Court of Appeals, DC Circuit, to grant us ‘standing’, the right to take the FCC to court.
Simply put, this one of the largest accounting scandals in telecommunications history. Unknown to most, the federal FCC accounting rules have been the basis to determine how much the different lines of business pay to use the state wireline networks.
On April 15th, 2019, the IRREGULATORS filed to appeal an FCC decision and expose one of the largest accounting scandals in American history. 19 Years ago the FCC, with the help of AT&T, Verizon and CenturyLink, and with a single stroke was able to manipulate the federal accounting rules to always make the wired utility networks appear unprofitable, and have the state utility customers fund all of the companies’ other services, from the fiber optics for FiOS, or U-verse, to the Wireless to Business Data Services. and in 2018, the FCC decided to continue these rules for 6 more years.
The IRREGULATORS is an independent consortium of senior telecom experts, analysts, forensic auditors, and lawyers who are former staffers from the FCC, state advocate and Attorneys General Office, as well as telecom auditors and consultants. Members of the group have been working together, in different configurations, since 1999.
New Networks Institute was established in 1992 as a telecommunications market research and consulting firm. Today it acts as the Managing Director of the IRREGULATORS.
- IMMEDIATE: APPEAL THE FCC’s DECISIONS: We are going after the one of the largest accounting scandals in American history — The FCC’s accounting rules have not been audited or fixed for 19 years — and they have diverted billions of dollars per state in expenses, in the wireline phone networks — overcharging customers to fund their other business — while and saving billions in taxes. The IRREGULATORS was the only independent group that filed.
- REPORTS & FILINGS: We have filed at the FCC over the last 5 years and created a new report services to document all of this financial shell game. Read the new report service “The DIGITAL DIVIDE BY DESIGN”.
- DIGITAL DIVIDE SCANDAL: FILED WITH COMMENTS: REPORT 1: Did AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink & the FCC Intentionally Create the Digital Divide?
- Did Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink and the FCC deliberately and intentionally make the entire US state-based, telecommunications, wired utility networks appear unprofitable?
- Did they overcharge America $½ trillion or more?
- Did they create the Digital Divide and has been used to restructure the America’s communications policies to help these companies against the public interest?
- SCORE: Verizon NY Settlement: Fiber Optics to Underserved Areas; Repair of the State Utility Networks — with an Assist from the IRREGULATORS. –– While other groups talk, our groups helped to create an investigation with a settlement estimated at $300-500 million and 30000+ lines of fiber
- STOP the 5G Wireless: The New Fiber Optic Bait-& Switch: 5G is a plan to get promise new wireless service. it has a range of a few city blocks and requires a fiber optic wire. It is designed to get rid of the wired regulations and obligations, and use the phone customers to pay — cross-subsidize, their wireless business.
NO MORE: Taxes, Fees and Surcharges on Communications Bills are Out of Control. Who’s kidding who? The Cable Triple Play is filled with made up fees, taxes and surcharges.The advertised price goes up 100+% after the promotion, the wireless services are some of the most expensive, per gig, in the world, and prices of wireline services went up over 500% since 1980, while it should have been going down.
- Broadband Scandal: In state after state, customers paid billions to have their networks upgraded to fiber optics. Over $500 billion in excess profits has been collected, but America is not a fiber optic nation. The Book of Broken Promises, 3rd is a trilogy that spans 2 decades, is the most controversial and well read telecommunications books — now FREE.
- GET YOUR FREE BOOK (PDF): “The Book of Broken Promises”
- Read a Summary of the Book
- Read: It’s Time to Take the FCC to Court
- Donate: Help Us Take the FCC to Court
- Meet the IRREGULATORS
- Help us Fix Telecom
- Watch the video, below
- OUR 2017 VIDEO SAYS IT ALL: The FCC is Out of Control and Needs to be Taken to Court: Since the beginning of 2017, the FCC has been a path of destruction with the overarching theme to erase all laws, regulations and consumer protections and to let a few very large monopolies/duopolies – Verizon, AT&T, Centurylink, and the cable companies – do what they want at your expense.
SCORE: Verizon NY Settlement: Fiber Optics to Underserved Areas; Repair of the State Utility Networks — with an Assist from the IRREGULATORS.
New Networks Institute (NNI) & the IRREGULATORS just helped to get 32,000 fiber optic lines installed by Verizon New York in underserved areas as well as have the state utility be required to do long needed repairs of the copper networks — that are still in use. The State claims that there are still 2.14 million ‘voice-only’ access lines in service. (Note: This number of copper-based access lines is low for multiple reasons.) We estimate that this settlement is valued at $300 million to $1/2 billion in additional spending by Verizon in New York State over time.
In 2010, we uncovered what appeared to be a massive cross-subsidy scheme where Verizon NY, state utility was acting as a cash machine for Verizon’s other lines of business, including Verizon Wireless. Instead of upgrading the cities with fiber, much of the work was now moving to wireless — but much of this was being charged to local phone customers via Title II.
The Connect New York Coalition, filed a Petition with the New York State Public Service Commission to do a formal investigation of Verizon New York. July 1, 2014. The Petition is based, in part, on NNI’s continuing research.
We Filed in FCC’S “Net Neutrality” Proceeding: The Book of Broken Promises Can Disrupt the FCC’s Plans
The FCC claims that Net Neutrality and something called “Title II” harmed investment. And the FCC wants to preempt the states from taking actions. Unfortunately for the FCC, we have found a structural flaw — The FCC has never examined the state-based fiber optic broadband commitments, and Title II is used by Verizon to make to divert billions of expenses from their other businesses into the wired networks. The Book of Broken Promises shows we paid for networks we never got– and proves the FCC is trying to manipulate Net Neutrality.
We Filed in FCC’S “Shut Off the Copper” Proceeding
History shows that “Accelerating Wireline Broadband Deployment by Removing Barriers to Infrastructure Investment”, the focus of this proceeding— has virtually never worked and neither the FCC, the state commissions, the ILEC phone companies AT&T, Verizon or CenturyLink, or their funded-groups has ever discussed this fact.
Public Knowledge, New Networks Institute and Consumer Federation File to Appeal FCC Business Data Services Decision
Public Knowledge, Consumer Federation of America, and New Networks Institute filed an amicus brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit requesting the Court to overturn and remand the Federal Communications Commission’s recent Business Data Services deregulation Order.
This FCC shut down proposed privacy laws, which lets the companies sell your browsing history and track you on all devices. Their next act is attempting to eliminate Net Neutrality. Worse, the companies can raise your rates at will, and there will be no requirement to even provide or fix your service, much less make sure that there is serious competition. It is going to get a lot worse and this problem is happening across America.