The Fix: Break Up Verizon and AT&T — Separate the Title-II regulated Wireline business
from the unregulated Wireless and Content Delivery businesses
Burce Kushnick’s 2015 book, The Book Of Broken Promises: $400 Billion Broadband Scandal & Free The Net has been placed in the FCC’s public record and can be downloaded for free here. Bruce Kushnick introduced this book in the video, embedded below: Bruce Kushnick – The Book of Broken Promises at Civic Hall Book Day — Apr 28 2015:
- Book Introduction https://youtu.be/g0zFErx514E?t=13m31s
- Lack of Broadband Competition https://youtu.be/g0zFErx514E?t=34m3s
- What About Wireless? https://youtu.be/g0zFErx514E?t=36m14s
- The public can reclaim the Wireline assets https://youtu.be/g0zFErx514E?t=38m25s
- Conclusion: Audits and Contract Enforcement https://youtu.be/g0zFErx514E?t=40m32s
Recent Huffington Post Artickes by Bruce Kushnick
- Link: Net Neutrality Chant
- Link: FCC Pai’s ‘Backwards into the Future’ Blunders
- Link: The Trump-FCC-AT&T-Et Al. Plan: The Insidious “Wheel of Mis-Fortune”
- Link: The Corporate Takeover of the Trump-FCC Is in Full Attack Mode
- Link: Facts Missing from the FCC’s Section 706 Broadband Reports
- Link: FCC Rewrote America’s Broadband History; Covers Up $½ Trillion in Overcharging
Bruce Kushnick, the Irregulators:
We want the wire itself to be regulated, which means that the price to use the wire is fixed and offered to all; the Telecom companies cannot charge whatever they want and discriminate. We want all of the assets that were built with customers’ money returned . . . We need more verifiable data from the Telecom Companies because the FCC and many State Utility Commissions stopped collecting data about Telecom Companies’ operations and performance and are erasing the accounting rules.
Mark Cooper, Consumer Federation of America:
I firmly believe that the principle of non-discriminatory access to communications, open communications network is vital to our economy and our democracy. If you look back over the history of capitalism, the principle of non-discrimination, sometimes called common carriage has been with us from the beginning. I like to say it’s part of the DNA of capitalism because in the capitalist system, the movement of goods and services is vital to economic activity. And the movement of ideas is vital to democracy and those two go hand in hand.
Reports & Documentation Focused on Verizon NY
Follow the Money: Verizon New York 2016 Annual Report: Financial Analysis & Implications
- 2012, “Verizon’s State-Based Financial Issues & Tax Losses: The Destruction of America’s Telecommunications Utilities” where we called for an investigation of Verizon’s financials and the cross-subsidies of its affiliate companies.
- 2013 Verizon Wireless and the Other Verizon Affiliate Companies Are Harming Verizon New York’s (The State-based Utility) Customers & the State.
- 2013 Investigation of Verizon Wireline and Wireless Companies Business Relations by the New York State Commission — COMMENTS filed by Common Cause–NY, Consumer Union, CWA and the Fire Island Association Call for an Data from New Networks research reports.
- 2014 “It’s All Interconnected” published by Public Utility Law Project, PULP, with David Bergmann, Esq.
Note: Current Investigation of Verizon New York’s business practices.
Fixing Telecom Series
December, 2015, we released the first two reports in a new series, “Fixing Telecom” a project that started 7 years ago. They are based on mostly public, but un-examined information, the findings impacts all wireline and wireless phone, broadband, Internet and even cable TV/video services in America.
- NNI Expert Independent Team: NNI is now a consortium of independent experts, auditors and lawyers.
- Report 1: Executive Summary: Verizon’s Manipulated Financial Accounting & the FCC’s Big “Freeze”
- Report 2: Full Data Report
- Report 3: SPECIAL REPORT How Municipalities and the States can Fund Fiber Optic Wireline and Wireless Broadband Networks.
- REPORT 4: Data Report Proving Verizon’s Wireline Networks Diverted Capex for Wireless Deployments Instead of Wiring Municipalities, and Charged Local Phone Customers for It.
- Report 5: The Hartman Memorandum
- Report 6: The History & Rules of Setting Phone Rates in America —The FCC’s ‘Big Freeze’ & Cross Subsidies
On December 16th, 2015, we filed the first reports in 31 separate FCC proceedings.
Joint Filings with Consumer Federation of America
- Joint Filings with Consumer Federation of America in the Special Access, (Business Data Services) proceeding
Filings New York PSC
- Case 13-C-0197 Request To Investigate Claims That Verizon’s Wireless Product, Voice Link,Was Not Created For Replacing Damaged Lines But As “Home Phone Connect” to Replace Copper Lines Since 2010, with Alexander Goldman, November 18th, 2013
- Case 14-M-0183 – Comcast /Time Warner Cable Merger, NNI testimony, June 19, 2014,
- Case 14-C-0370
- In the Matter of a Study on the State of Telecom in NY State.
- Connect New York Coalition Petition
- Reports Expose Verizon NY’s Financial Shell Game and the NYPSC’s Role. February 22, 2016
- CASE 14-C-0370 TELECOM STUDY TECHNICAL CONFERENCE PANEL 2 – The Status and Adequacy of Advanced Broadband System. February 24, 2016
- Case 14-C-0370 Comments Related to the NY Public Service Commission’s Report “Staff Assessment of Telecommunications Services”. October 21, 2015
- Case 14-C-0370 Comments by Public Utility Law Project, PULP: “It’s All Interconnected” report by NNI attached.